Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Link Building Best Practices - How Failure Makes You Better

Life here is good again, and I'm taking new business in selected verticals. I'll also be speakng at SMX East in New York, in October.

However...

When I don't manage my business well, I admit it. When I fail my clients, I admit it. And I also send them money back. And it hurts.

This past April, May, June, and July, were torture. The scheduling challenges posed as a result of assorted family emergencies really came home to roost. I take the blame. The idea that I could keep clients happy while going dark as I tended to family matters across the country was foolish.

I should have pulled down my site, or at least the paypal buttons, until I was ready for new business. The bottom line has two parts. Part One is I let too many client communiques slip through the cracks. Part Two is I refunded many clients for consulting calls that have not been able to happen at the speed and depth with which I'd hoped. So I've lost income and annoyed clients at the same time. Ouch.

Lesson after lesson after lesson learned the hard way. I have failed wide and deep for three months running.

But...I'm back and I'm not budging until I make it right. That's how you do it. So come back. There's a bonus in it for those who do.

Eric


NOTE: To ask a link building related question, click the
Comments link below, or the Post a Comment link at the bottom of any individual post.

3 comments:

  1. $15,000 ouch...but what's the bonus Eric is it worth spending the money ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Eric,

    Thanks for this wonderful option to ask for advice.

    Question:

    Suppose I guest post at other blogs related to the same subject of my own website. And in my guest posts, I include one or more links to my website with optimized Anchor Texts, would that be something that Google won't have any objection on?
    The links would be helpful to readers and would fit the context. And I would be doing the guest posts for free. No transfer of money either side so it's not link buying/selling.

    I have seen that even some very famous White Hat SEO blogs have such posts.
    What do you say?

    Thanks in advance. And I feel sorry about the refunds. Hope I will learn the lesson the easy way, i.e. by reading your post.

    Kind Regards
    Affan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also wanted to add:
    In my approach I mentioned, there won't be any pressure on the blog owner to publish my guest post. Of course, it will be up to him to decide if he wants to post that or not.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete